Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Well if I have to be tested for AIDS, I'm glad I could share it with all of you

Since our Warsaw trip, most of the time spent here in Tbilisi has been in a classroom.  For the first few days we had some readjustment time, which gave all us volunteers time to explore the city.  That first day Jenna, my roommate, and I ventured out for a brief walk and later that night ended up going downtown with a big group.  The Old City area of Tbilisi is really cool and has all sorts of restaurants and bars open really late with great outdoor seating areas, a basketful of blankets to help yourself to while you're there should you get cold, and some live music mixed in too.  All the different places run along these narrow pedestrian streets giving it that quintessential European town feel.  We all spent time at one restaurant where to my surprise the drink menu is more varied than in the US - I had my choice of margaritas, daiquiris, you name it.  While some wrapped up smoking an apple-flavored hookah others of us ventured to another bar with some grand old techno music.  The rest of the night was spent exploring quieter streets of Tbilisi as well as a nearby park and then finally seeking out some great late night 'dodgy' food which came in the form of a surprisingly tasty kebab.  The following day Jenna and I took to exploring more of the Old City area in daylight as well as hiking up to the Narikala Fort, which rests on top of a huge hill overlooking the city, built in the 4th century. 

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out my camera =)

Our night on the town




That was a surprise




Different views from the Narikala Fortress





Notice the giant cylinder things next the bridge...still no clue what those are



Jenna!










Mother of Kartli statue, a symbol of the city - in her left hand she holds a bowl of wine to greet those who come as friends, and in her right hand is a sword for those who come as enemies.




One of the best iced coffees ever!  And not just because it was free.


Our friend who treated us to the coffees

No comments:

Post a Comment