Saturday, September 22, 2012

Mayor Moody's new cigarette currency

So here is what I know:
Starting tomorrow I will be introduced to the family I will be living with for the next 9 months.  There will be several awkward exchanges as volunteers and families names are called out, meeting in the middle of the crowd to exchange greetings and as they approach one another asking themselves do I go in for a handshake, hug, or what?  I personally think a Michael Scott slow shun-nun-nun-nun run should do the trick.  I will be getting in a marshut'k'a, car, or whatever transportation means they've used to get to Tbilisi to meet me and for the next 3 hours we will spend some quality bonding time getting to know one another.  I'm really hoping for just one person to know basic English, but I'll just have to wait and see.  I will be living in the Imereti region of Georgia, sort of mid-west on a map, in the Baghdati district, and in the village, that's right village of Tsitelkhevi (google map it if you like).  I have a host mother, father, grandmother, 12 year old sister, and 13 year old brother...and outdoor plumbing!  Cold winter toilet runs here I come!  At some point I may resort to keeping a bucket in my room should an emergency ever arise late at night, or it just gets too damn cold and obnoxious to layer up at 3 am just to pee =).  I can't say for sure, but I also believe that means those winter months I will be heating a pot of hot water and going the sponge bath route yippee...oh adventures what crazy twists and turns you've taken me on.  Two great things about my particular location assignment. 
1)  It looks like a cool place to be.  I have the mountains to my south and a forest reserve to my north.  To the southeast I have the town of Baghdati, not too far away for those needed coffee/wi-fi trips (yep no internet at home I'm afraid).  To the northeast, about a 30 minute drive is Kutaisi, the second largest city in Georgia (score), and the Black Sea coastline is about an hour drive away to the west.
2)  There were 62 people in our orientation group who got assigned all over the country and just 12ish short km down the road is my friend Jenna, who of all the places in the whole country to be assigned to is literally a village away!  I think overall I got the long end of the stick, er, whichever ends the better one to be on.

So a new chapter of this journey begins......starting tomorrow.  For now, to reminisce on my time spent here at the hotel here's a recap of the things I've learned:
1)  A fair number of Georgian men are under the impression that foreign women will happily jump into a car with them and gladly have a 'sleepover' as well.
2)  Georgian men are under the very strong impression foreign women will happily jump into a car with them...and won't stop trying for a solid 6 minutes despite the constant 'arra' (no) and flipping them the bird.
3)  It doesn't go over so well when you accidentally take a dump in someone's closet (important note: this wasn't me personally).
4) Eating the same flavored food for every meal, 7 straight days is not fun, but the minimizing of such food is a fantastic way to shed some pounds.
5)  Walking past the same people you just said goodbye to 10 minutes ago is awkward in any country and should try and be avoided if possible.
6)  Should you come across a rabid dog, don't get to a high point or move away, simply curl into a ball and avoid eye contact.
7)  If you're a dude especially working in this program then you are going to be drinking a lot of alcohol.
8)  It's not as hard as one might think to drift off to sleep with the soothing sounds of Georgian karaoke wafting through the air, a cat either in the process of dying or just delirious, and random dog packs fighting for their territory.
9)  When you lack a defined postal system, simply send luggage, packages, or whatever with the long distance marshut'k'a drivers (cross between taxi and bus) and they will actually deliver those things to where they need to be.
10)  Salt is really popular at this hotel.
11)  Make critters in your room feel welcome by creating a cozy home for them...taped to the wall (see picture).
12)  Ladies, don't smoke outside or you will have a Georgian man assume, as they naturally should, you must be a prostitute.
13)  Apparently Mcdonald's is expensive here and where all the teens take their dates for a fancy night out.
14)  If you think you're lost, take a minute to walk each way for about 30 seconds because you may find yourself paying a taxi driver to basically just drive you those 50 steps you really could've made on your own had you continued going the way you were already walking.

So that about sums up what I've taken away so far.  Overall, most of the orientation was helpful some of it boring, but that's to be expected.  We spent time learning about cultural differences, teaching in the classrooms, and practicing our Georgian language skills (challenging language I got to say).  I've met some great people, made good friends and so I'm sure we'll have some fun weekend trips to look forward to in everyone's respective regions.  Next time I should have plenty more to share as I will be in an entirely new place with all new people.  Until then I bid you adieu.
Freedom square location

Tbilisi at night






If you give a mouse a cake...or just tape a bag to the wall and put a trash bag in front of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment