Saturday, October 13, 2012

Spangulish - A magnificent mixture of Spanish, Qartuli (Georgian), and English

 Jenna and I have made it to McDonald's in Kutaisi for some quality time with internet finally.  We just spent the last hour with a nice gentleman who drove us all the way here.  First, naturally, we had to stop near Bagdati so he could unload his supply of pipes he needed to drop off, an additional 30 minute side trip we weren't quite expecting but we're here now and I finally have time to tell you more about what's been going on.  Here's a bit more info about my life at home I wrote a few days ago:

It is remarkable how after only a few weeks living with these absolute strangers, each day, I feel more and more like part of the family.  I absolutely adore my ojakhi (family).  Tik’o is like my shadow, everywhere I go she goes.  We spend hours trying to communicate in broken Georgian and English slowly gaining a precise rhythm that helps to get each of our points across.  We went for a “run” together the other day which basically involved running up and down 3 different small hills at which point she was spent and ready to eat breakfast.  That wasn’t quite the workout I was hoping for and so I decided to try out the Insanity that’s been on my computer for some time now.  Shortly thereafter Tik’o joined in and did as best she could while I was sweating buckets and felt ready to throw up.  Needless to say I was sore for about 4 days after that.  Each morning she knocks on my door at 7:45 to wake me up, always surprised to find I’m already awake.  I’m not sure they realize I have an alarm clock, but I don’t mind.  Everyone here is an early riser so typically I wake up at various points to the next door rooster crowing or my families raised voices (it’s true what they say, Georgians are loud/passionate talkers).  Shortly thereafter I’m brought some coffee to sip on while I get ready.  Breakfast typically consists of Ramen noodles, which a part of me now looks forward to in the mornings and then we all head off to school.  I still don’t understand how they’re always waiting for me in the mornings.  Granted, yes it’s me and typically I’m always running late.  Here, however, I’m always ready to go on time, even early.  It’s about a 10 minute walk to school and yet by 8:30 (30 minutes before school start time) they’re all ready to head out.  That is one question I really wish I could ask them. 

School is a whole different monster.  A part of me really enjoys school and the other part not so much.  I like that it’s a challenge, not just due to lack of materials, or the language barrier, but also because it challenges me as an individual - my patience level, persistence, ability to handle uncomfortable situations, and so on.  I am basically the center of attention for the entire student body, which entails being stared at constantly and whispered about as well as saying hello an absurd amount of times every day.  It’s surprisingly easy to know when people are talking about you plus the whole staring, whispering, staring some more routine makes it pretty easy to figure out.  Sometimes the staring becomes so uncomfortable I wish I could leave the class, or else turn the tables and just stare at them nonstop for 45 minutes and see how much they like it (the thing is I think some might and therefore I’m not sure trying that tactic would be all that effective).  The teachers are overall stand-offish.  An occasional hello is about all I receive from most of them, granted no one except my co-teachers speak any English.  I have 2 co-teachers, Ana and Ani (those aren’t there actually names, but TLG asked that we not disclose them).  Ani is a warmer individual who seems more interested in my opinion and a more well-practiced teacher, however, she lacks creativity in the classroom.  Her classes are the standard read from the book, answer the questions, read from the workbook, answer the questions, that’s about it.  Ana on the other hand rolls through the lessons without really noticing all the blank stares of confused children.  She dismisses particular students claiming they are lazy.  She breezes through the pages of the book without first ensuring the students understand what it is they’re being taught.  I can tell she enjoys kids in general I just think she gets frustrated easily.  Coming up with spontaneous games for the kids is something I’ve come to expect on a regular basis.  Lesson planning is practically impossible.  With Ana it’s a total surprise what we’ll be doing in class that day since she never lets me know ahead of time.  I will soon try a new tactic I hope is successful in which I go to them with preconceived ideas for lessons and ask what they think.  Not quite the lesson planning sessions I had in mind, but at this point I think that’s the best it’s going to get.  More than likely they’ll say they think it’s great, my theory is because they didn’t have to plan it themselves.  Despite my overwhelming frustration at times, which is probably evident given my description above about school, I am still enjoying it and with time everything about it gets easier, a trend I hope continues.  I have to be persistent to get a word in with my teachers, to make them at least attempt to involve me in the class at times.  I have to rely on my own creativity and ingenuity when there appears to be nothing for me to do (because there always is).  I have to be ever aware of the students who excel and those who are far behind.  It’s the students that are behind I hope to help the most.  All of this I already know is making me a stronger and more self-reliant person.

I’m pleasantly surprised with how busy I stay after school, not really succumbing to overwhelming boredom like I thought might happen at times.  I’ve already introduced volleyball to Givi, Tik’o, and Lizi along with quite a few neighborhood kids.  They’re overall pretty good and I hope by the time I leave to have ‘peppering’ or as Steph would put it ‘playing pepper’ =) down pat.  As of now we play with a heavy soccer ball or a really flat soccer ball, but I hope after my next out of town trip I’ll be able to return with a volleyball.  I spend some time reading on my Kindle, which I’m so glad to have, probably more so come winter.  I’ve managed to teach Tik’o the card games Speed, Golf, and Egyptian Rat-screw through words I’ve picked up so far/elaborate charades, which I have to say is an accomplishment I’m pretty proud of.  I’m now tutoring a boy who lives down the street in English along with Tik’o and Givi.  Although with those 2 I’ve been doing that from the beginning.  Occasionally I here a ‘Carly, modi (come)’ and at that point I already know more than likely we’re headed to a neighbor’s/extended family’s home for a bit of socializing.  My actual socializing is limited of course, but we’re always greeted the same way - cookies and candies on the table along with coffee. Despite my silent presence and complete lack of conversational understanding I even enjoy these little side trips.  All of this, along with a movie or reading before bed, fills up my afternoons and evenings at home.

As a side-note, here’s a perfect example of some of my current frustration with school.  Givi, Tik’o, and I were reviewing homework last night, reading an excerpt from their English books, each of them in turn practicing their pronunciation.  I asked if they understood it and of course they said yes (hint: they were lying).  I expected as much and so decided that instead of moving on to answer the homework questions first we would read through each sentence individually, figuring out what each meant in Georgian (qartuli).  This is a perfect example of how flawed the English teaching is, in my village at least, though I expect elsewhere as well.  Students read English practicing pronouncing the words correctly without understanding any of it.  There is no calculated final grade for the students and homework isn’t turned in to be graded, so if they get a question wrong or their entire homework assignment for that matter it makes no difference.  So long as it looks like they did it they receive no scolding from the teacher, sometimes not doing any homework also produces no scolding depending on the teacher.  They show up for the next class with homework completed (maybe), answers they’re totally unsure of, and then all together the homework is reviewed.  The few students who understand answer correctly, those that don’t answer incorrectly, but then receive the right one, and then the whole class moves on through the list without ever explaining what they’ve read, why the right answer was the right answer, etc.  It’s a vicious cycle of ignorance and misunderstanding and I’m afraid my brother and sister are caught up in that, which explains why their English is so poor.  Perhaps that paints a better picture of what I’m up against. 

Anyways, the weekend is approaching and Jenna and I have plans to hang out at each other’s homes which I’m really looking forward to.  It will be nice to have someone to explore my village with as I really haven’t done that yet.  As Jenna puts it, just walking around the village produces a lot of stares as if she has 8 eyes and so I figured it’d be a goal best tackled with another in tow.  We’re also looking forward to an upcoming trip to Batumi and the Black Sea, which I’m especially looking forward to.  Being away from the beach so long after living on it for years isn’t easy!  Missing all of you back home and hope you’re all well, until next time, K’argad! (bye!)

No comments:

Post a Comment